Thursday, September 05, 2019

A decade of service

A decade of my career was spent in various parts of Karnataka and from 2015 january i have been in bagalkot district. Right from day1 i have cursed this place, hated it for the illiteracy and lack of personal hygiene. I have always felt as an outsider and the only boon was my weekends to Bangalore. But there are many things that i had slowly started appreciating like the food - a well balanced diet of jowar roti, vegetables,  sprouts rice and curd with the chutney that is found towards north karnataka.
The fact that this place made me more accepting towards various kinds of people especially after dealing with a homogeneous crowd of bangalore has helped me grow as an individual. I have dealt with a farmer to the thasildhar to ips officers and understood that the status they hold doesnt define the individual and all everyone wants is just to be heard.
I also appreciate the biggest boon this place has given me: the knowledge of languages. I knew tamil when i left bangalore but today i can interact in kannada, understand urdu and marathi. I wish i had learnt to speak both languages and my biggest fear today is that i will forget whatever i learnt.
I am looking forward to my service in my hometown but somehow the feeling of not belonging to kerala arises very often. People recognise me as an officer from Bangalore circle and in Bangalore i was always a non-kannadiga in their circle. Now the question arises...where do i belong?

No comments: